eTraveler: October 19, 2022
The E-Traveler is our bi-weekly industry communication email. Sign up to receive them.
Soul of Iowa named Bend the World winner!
Soul of Iowa was recently honored as a Q3 Bend the World winner, making it one of the most creative campaigns to come from FleishmanHillard and its clients in 2022. Soul of Iowa moves on to the Bend the World annual showcase where one campaign will be recognized as the cream of the creative crop for 2022.FleishmanHillard’s Bend the World showcase is designed to identify the best of the best in creativity. Each quarter, the judges choose winners from a number of global entries. Then the finalists are entered for a chance to win the agency’s most creative campaign of 2022. We’ll keep you posted on how Soul performs!
Best practices for your social media channels
Struggling with social content? We can help! With our partners at FleishmanHillard, we’ve put together a deck of best practices for platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and TikTok. You’ll find information on developing copy, types of graphics to use and tips to drive engagement. We do our best to lean on these best practices for the content we post whenever possible. We encourage you to review and incorporate the suggestions into your own social media efforts.Learn More
Travel writers visit in September
Randy Mink with Leisure Group Travel magazine traveled across the state to Dyersville, Clear Lake, Mason City, Winterset and Cedar Rapids in late September. Four freelance writers – Mary Bergin, Lisa Myers-McClintick, Kevin Revolinski and Kim Schneider, started in Lansing and explored the Mississippi River on a houseboat. Thank you to all the partners who assisted in these media trips.
Iowa in the News
Here are some exciting media highlights featuring Iowa.
- News Explorer featured Council Bluffs and Mason City as one of their "20 Cheap Travel Destinations Across America for Fun-Filled Vacations"
- Travel and Leisure spotlighted The Inn Hotel in Arnolds Park as one of its "8 Midwest Resorts Perfect for a Cozy Fall Getaway"
- Bestlife featured Dubuque as one of the "10 U.S. Towns that Look Magical in the Fall"
- Architectural Digest spotlighted Decorah as one of "The 55 Most Beautiful Small Towns in America"
Governor Reynolds announces $14.1M in fifth round of Destination Iowa funding for quality of life and tourism
Governor Kim Reynolds and the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) announced?$14.1 million in grant funding?for the following four projects through Destination Iowa.
- The Hoover Presidential Foundation - $5,000,000
- The Webster County Conservation Board and the City of Fort Dodge - $4,000,000
- The City of Mason City and Cerro Gordo County - $4,500,000
- Cinema Paradiso, LLC - $600,000
The $100 million program, announced in April, invests in transformational attractions that will bolster the quality of life in Iowa communities and attract visitors and new residents.
IEDA began accepting applications on May 9 and will continue to review applications as they arrive through December 31 or until funding runs out. Applications are scored based on eligibility, completeness, and the project’s ability to meet the program goal of creating transformational tourism attractions. Cities, counties, nonprofits and other organizations can apply for Destination Iowa grants through four separate funds: Economically Significant Development, Outdoor Recreation, Tourism Attraction, and Creative Placemaking.Learn More
In-state lodging requirements: human trafficking prevention
The Department of Administrative Services wants to remind lodging properties that the human trafficking certification training is required in order to receive any state funding for overnight stays, meetings or events. This includes any properties that host events funded by the Meet in Iowa program, Iowa Tourism Marketing Grant and all other state-funded programs.
Certifications must be renewed every three years. If you or your lodging stakeholders have any questions please direct them to Ray Fiedler (email@example.com) at the Department of Public Safety.
- November 2, 2022 - Travel Iowa Marketplace
- November 17, 2022 - Iowa Tourism Office Update (webinar)
- January 19, 2023 - Iowa Tourism Office Update (webinar)
- March 22 & 23, 2023 - Iowa Tourism Conference at Prairie Meadows
Check out the calendar of events for more details and upcoming industry meetings.Calendar of Events